Sunday, August 30, 2009

Last day in London

Today was the end of one part of my journey through Europe. Tomorrow morning at 0830 our little group will go 'under the sea' via the CHUNNEL and enter into the country of my dreams-France! I'll be sure to document each leg of this trip, as I have endeavored thus far.

Took time to sleep in this morning, before a breakfast of usual cold toast, cereal and yogurt here at the hostel. Then ten of us went off to St. Paul's Cathedral for the morning Sung Eucharist. Again, I felt such a grand presence whilst sitting under the magnificent dome of the church, with the choir singing "Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus. Dominus Deus Sabaoth." The walls, columns, ceilings, windows were all built in such an ornate and gilded fashion, that no matter where you looked there was some artistic detail to greet your eye. I greatly enjoy sitting in such services and imagining myself in the same time period as historical figures, seeing what they saw and hearing the same Latin sung.

Ice Cream at the Park



Megan and I decided on this special, last day in the city to embark on one last adventure. We took the District line on the tube over to St. James's Park for another picnic in the park. Let me just tell you, lunch in the park is the best way to have it. You can lay on your back in the grass and truly savour each taste while idly observing the clouds, laughing families, and pigeons.
After finishing our meal and reflection, we walked to Buckingham Palace to see where the Queen lives! It was pretty magnificent with statues and gold trimmed gates! And we could see the funny guards in red and black! Took photos to remember:

And we ended our afternoon out in the biggest store I've ever been to- HARRODS! It was incredible!!!!!!! We saw everything you could possibly ever want or need and everything Haute Couture as well. There were pianos, ball gowns, dogs and cats, horse gear, chandeliers, clothes of every kind, living rooms suites, glittery shoes, toys upon toys (fake snow!), stereos, perfumes, mattresses, and even an opera singer serenading those on the escalators!!

2 comments:

Joleen West said...

Sounds like you're having a LOVELY time. Enjoy France!I'm at that stage wondering why the heck I'm doing study abroad. lol. Feeling some major homesickness, but I can't wait to start classes and see some fantastic sites! And I can't wait to see you so we can exchange study abroad stories!

Chandler Mom said...

I love, love, love that you are having a great time. I am living vicariously through your blog and pictures and skype.