Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday in Kensington









Today I woke up exhausted after staying up until 2 a.m. studying for the Les Miserables quiz we had first thing for literature. I'm glad I studied because I definitely needed it. No more of that procrastinating for me, I can't handle the stress or fatigue. I'm doing my assignments (tonight) ON TIME so I won't have any worry. We received our art assignments for the week/semester:
Keep:
1 sketchbook (aid for drawing)
1 common-place book (for observations of novels/poetry)
1 visual journal (for intriguing European sights)
So I need to find some more books to record things in, because as an artist, just any average book won't due.
A little group of us ate lunch in Russell Square Park, laughing in the sun. On we marched to the British Museum. Let me add, so far, the National Gallery and British Museum have been completely free. That blew me away. I've never been to such large museums in my life, and it is just open to the public. So today we had a "free" day to just observe. I saw the Rosetta Stone, old mummies of Egyptian Pharaohs, Greek statues, Sumatran/Mesopotamian art, and the friezes from the Parthenon, which are called the Elgin Marbles (see below)
From the museum, Meg, Megan and I went off on a little adventure- walking around Kensington and eating ice cream. We took hundreds of photos and oohed and ahhed over London's shops and buildings. I can't wait to walk in more cities and 'ooh' and 'ahh' over more architecture and culture, especially PARIS!


No comments: