it's evening here on my fifth day abroad. Time has flown by and yet each day is so full that it could count as two days in one! Time is playing major games with my body and mind.
Today was the first day with real rain. I wondered when we would experience the "typical" London conditions, instead of hot sun like California. Most of our walks about the city were dusted with tiny drops, cooling us down wonderfully. Not enough to warrant an umbrella, thankfully, because I don't own one yet.
We began our class on Poetry this morning after breakfast with Prof. Gaelan! He is awesome, and only a few years older than most of us. His lovely wife, Megan, is also on the trip. They are wonderful, Christian people and I can't wait to spend more time getting to know them and talking about art, books and life. Both of them graduated from our school, so our group is already like a little family. I know that everyone will be well acquainted by the end of these travels. There are still several people in my group that I don't even know *beyond names* But I have to keep reminding myself, it's only been a few days! I have time for everything and not to worry.
So the museum of today was a switch-up from the last two. Instead of history, we got to absorb work from the present with Saatchi Museum off the Sloane Square stop on the tube. This was an amazing experience full of contemporary art pieces, which I've come to find I enjoy much better than the ancient stuff. There were quite a few sight-stopping pieces in this 4-level gallery. I'll post some pictures for viewing pleasure. NOTE:
The occupied wheel-chairs moved around the room on their own.....
Two men- one real, one fake!
And an endless steel staircase, life size:
After this, Megan N, Prof. Gaelan and I went to St. Paul's Cathedral for an Evensong service. Sadly, the choir was out on holiday, but we still enjoyed listening to God's word spoken in the echoing chambers of the inside of the church. It was gorgeously adorned in paint and gold and carved stone. I felt so awed by the art inspired by the spirit of God.
1 comment:
Fascinating, so much to see and absorb.
Post a Comment