Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Home Sweet Home

There is no place like home.
I love being here. It is my fifth time to come home to Arizona, and it is HOT! 110 Fahrenheit! Crazy intense heat. I never knew how nice A.C. was until now.
This week has had ups and downs. I have been S-I-C-K the whole time I've been home- maybe I got some intestinal bug from food last week, but whatever it is, I've been moaning in pain since last Friday. Medicine has not helped much. Suppose I don't need to wait for strange European foods to make me nauseous, I feel this way with no food at all! Just praying that my insides settle down and soon. It is hard to enjoy life without health.

The ups of the week, to contrast to the downs, have been very high- UPs!

Mom, Dad and I drove a few hours to see the GRAND CANYON and it was amazing. Of course, millions of people have seen it and come to the exact same conclusion, but I like to do things for myself. Nothing vicarious, thank you! The first glimpse brought butterflies to my stomach like the ocean used to do for me when I was little and lived in a city by mountains. Now mountains and valleys bring the flutters! Pictures do NOT do justice, especially because of the distance of the opposite rim makes it appear a pale blue, barely visible. We spent at least 4 hours just driving along the rim road and stopping to stand in awe of the canyon's grandeur. I could sit and stare at it all day, but it was far too hot. We didn't have time (or strength) enough to do any hiking, but maybe in the future? The IMAX film we saw gave us a second-hand view of what hang-gliding or white water rafting would be like: exhilirating.

The next day, the three of us decided to see Sunset Crater Park (ancient volcano) on our drive back. We saw fields made completely of thousand year old lava-rock and others of black and red cinders. This time we hiked for a few easy miles and took dozens of photos of the strange landscape. It felt good to be in the quiet expanse of nature. I know why people feel closer to God in these places: it is because there is nothing to distract one from simply listening and looking at His creation.

I've nearly finished all preparations for Europe. Leaving on the 21st---sooooo soon! I've got all sorts of things- clothesline, new DARK (Euro-style) shoes, brand new luggage, laundry sink soap, wrist watch, money belt, guide books, itineraries, toiletries, dozens of pairs of undergarments, medicines, more soaps....But I won't pack until the day before I leave. That's when I am done working and will be home for good from summer in balmy CA. It's far enough away that I can relax and just enjoy these last few days (or nights, rather, as I have 4 graveyard shifts).



1 comment:

John said...

sounds absolutely splendid, besides the being sick part. Hope you feel better soon caits. You reminded me, i need to get laundry soap...what kind did you get and where? that'd be very helpful!