Saturday, September 12, 2009

FULL


(our room here in Florence- 7 girls, laundry, mac books and luggage)



Day Traveling: 23

I'd have to say I am full.
Full with art, full with emotions, with luggage, with gelato, with traveling. Yet, there remains room for more, but slowly, as I process all that I have seen and learned. This trip is overwhelming on so many levels. I don't know where to begin when I try to describe it.
This week, we've been up on our feet, hitting the streets of Florence each morning. We visited countless museums and churches. Our eyes have traveled further than our feet, covering miles of paintings from the Renaissance, jumping from one Virgin Mary to the next. I try to stop and allow things to settle, but it's extremely hard to find the peace.


Today, I finally took a break. No traveling, no art. Just good nap-times, gelato and some shopping. Now, I am recouping on my bed. I got the sniffles yesterday--as well as a fever and some homesickness--but today the sun shines and I feel better. Thanks for all your words of encouragement! I wish I could travel here with everyone I love, maybe in the future.

Monastery converted to art museum







The best part of yesterday was hiking up a hillside (mostly stairs) to arrive at a lookout with a magnificent view of Florence. The setting sun and clouds framed it beautifully, taking away our breath. We had a class there, just looking at the view! Talk about the best way to learn. As we read poetry by Browning and Coleridge, the scene and words blended together. We've been discussing the power of images versus words and this was a great way to see the power of both combined. I really felt some peace in that moment!

2 comments:

Chandler Mom said...

I had a mini cone w/ chocolate gelato today at Bucca di Beppo's. Is that like the real thing over there?
Glad you are still enjoying the trip in spite of the illness. Praying for your rapid recovery. Wish I was there w/ you instead of writing papers and reading stacks of cases and books!
Our homeschool trips all around the country were a great way to learn literature and history!

DWL said...

Your photos are beautiful. I'm glad you're seeking and finding peace amidst the barrage of sights, sounds, and information over there. The ability to stop and reflect is an art in itself. :)