Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Arrived: Florence

Here I am! In Florence! It's much bigger than Venice upon first
appearance- mainly because there are cars and traffic! Less romantic
and dirtier!
We found a little grocery store down the block from our tiny hotel and
bought 6 bottles of water (2 liters) to drink because Italy's tap
water is supposedly sketch. Then we were off (Cora, Megan N and
Megan E) to the outdoor leather market...which sold so many
goodies! There were silk and cashmere scarves, lace, jewelry, shirts
and souvenirs not to mention leather shoes, wallets, jackets, belts
and purses! So much to see and buy! I got 3 scarves today for less
than 20 Euro! I also want to get a purse and maybe some shoes and
dress, but I have plenty of time and money so I'm waiting for the
best. We ate at an Italian cafe/pizzeria and the waiters were so funny
and flirty. Megan told me that they were staring at me and talking
when I went to the bathroom and during our meal. I guess eye-contact
is very forward over here and that they think Americans are "easy"
Half the group went out looking for a good time tonight at a club,
but since no one knew where one was, and I'm tired, I stayed in.
Traveling is exhausting, and tomorrow after our lit class
we are going on a walking tour of the city. Lots of rest to stay healthy.
There are lots of historical buildings to look at and tour. I love it. I think that history is so interesting! I wish I took such interest in contemporary world events and places! Maybe I will after this trip.
Man, I've had soooo much gelato which is Italian equivalent of ice cream. Probably 20 or more
scoops in the last week! You know me and sweets: I can't resist. Our R.A. (the wife of the lit prof)- Megan G- is trying to get me to better appreciate fruit, so I've had some apples/grapes/orange slices. At least my diet isn't all sweets....
We had an actual apartment in Venice with separate rooms and a kitchen, but here in Florence it is just a bedroom with attached bathroom. There are 7 girls in here and lots of
luggage! It is in the 80's during the day and lots of mosquitoes are
buzzing at night so we keep the windows shut. I love classes so much-
we meet in the biggest bedroom and set up a projector to look at
photos/watch films. And we have a lit/poetry class that is so fun! We
are going to memorize poems (for recitation) and we have to keep a "common-place" book
to record our thoughts and reflections to the words we read. Also, we keep
two sketchbooks and art reflection papers from the museums. So even though
it doesn't seem like schoolwork, there is some going on here.

No comments: