Monday, October 19, 2009

More nudes and more paris!

O PARIS
I am in love!

Paris life is beautiful. I've never lived in a city before. Never had to walk crowded streets each day, or watch for busy traffic. I've never had the pleasure of riding the metro to class and back before now. I'm a true "city slicker" as my dear G would say. I can understand what it means to crunch leaves in the gutter, weave around the smokers on the sidewalk, pass the dozens of embracing couples, window-shop at the expensive European clothing stores, eavesdrop on french conversations at cafes, take tourist photos of every monument and just skip along, happy as could be! I love Paris, with its variety of people and places- from the fancy trellis to the graffiti covered wall. It is all beautiful.

Today was my fourth drawing class. We had our second male nude. What experiences I am having! Learning about art, the body, and also anatomy! My drawing is improving already. And tomorrow is a class that I like even better: Painting. This week's focus is triangle measurement. LOTS of it. You'd be surprised how many triangles form a figure- both the negative and postive space. I've never "seen" in triangles before today, but now each thing my eyes land on is divided into angles! I can't unlearn it, and the lessons I have infiltrate every part of my life. I was in the metro and started mentally painting the man's face across from me! I'm dreaming in art too. It's the language of my life right now. Lines, contours, shapes, colors.

I'm sorry that I don't update more. I write emails if you want some more consistent communication, just send me one and I will reply! My time is caught up in exploring the city, especially with my camera in hand! I love Montmartre's crazy atmosphere and the Eiffel Tower at night.
Saturday was spent following St. Martin's Canal in the rain and then exploring the Montmartre Cemetery at dusk.
If you have any suggestions for me, I'm all open! Only 42 days left here.

1 comment:

DWL said...

Thanks for the awesome update. I feel like I have experienced Paris myself thanks to your visual writing.