Monday, November 9, 2009

Email to my parents

I'm letting you in on an email to mes parents since I am too tired to write a blog:


Bonsoir (Bohn swah = good evening)

I'm sorry that I haven't written you lately. As I said a few days ago, I have been feeling really down: the rain, the junk food, the long naps, skipping class, not going out, etc.
But, I went out exploring finally again!
Friday, a group of us girls went to the Marmottan Museum to do some art homework and see Monet's paintings! What breath-taking art! Seeing it in person is the only true way to experience it! Pictures just don't do art justice! Even flat canvases somehow become three-dimensional before your eyes. The colors are more vibrant and alive. I wish you could see it! Of course, I will show you photos, but it is just NOT the same. After that, we spent the afternoon exploring the woods right outside of Paris (Bois de Bologne), duck watching and picture taking. The leaves are changing and falling here...mostly yellow.
Saturday we couldn't sleep in that late if we wanted to eat our free breakfast which ends at 9 am every day except Sunday. So, we got up, ate our usual chocolate filled croissants with hot chocolate before going to the nearby Parc Montsouris (Mouse Mountain Park?) to take more pictures of the scenery and birds. We saw ravens, pigeons, geese, ducks, parakeets, seagulls and a heron! Also, a stray cat. :) We wandered aimlessly until rain drove us scurrying back to the Hotel, spirits a little dampened as well. Our list of things to do while in Paris still seems so long! How will we conquer it in just twenty one days? We decided to watch Pride and Prejudice to cheer us up! It worked. :) Always.
Sunday we took it a little bit easy again...Church after lunch (1:30) followed by a trip to a different museum- the Orsay, with lots more Impressionism to delight us! We spent three hours filling out analyzing sheets before calling it a day. Spent the evening watching a movie again, instead of homework, since we'd already done some.
Today we had our seventh drawing class with Kathy Burke. Our model was a dancer this time- nude as usual- and she only kept poses for less than a minute so most of the drawing was just gestures of her continual movement. And Kathy tried something new: making us draw for one hour straight with no breaks what-so-ever. This was to teach us the lesson of perseverance! "Not only in art, but in life, just keep going!"
Megan and I left drawing with many plans in mind. We headed to the Pere Lachaise cemetery to see the graves. At first it was exciting and spooky in moss and cobwebs, but quickly lost its appeal and romance for me. I was just sad thinking of all those dead, forgotten people! And someday that will be my family! But Megan encouraged me with the thought that our death is only the beginning of life with God.
We traded the roads of tombs for another trip to the Park. This time we headed to Buttes Chaumont where Helene had taken me. Lots of climbing stairs/hiking but totally worth the effort this time. Megan and I saw two waterfalls, a half cave with stalactites, and Paris from a temple on the hilltop. What fun! The sun came out as we were leaving and I started singing "Here comes the Sun" by the the Beatles to Megan. I often embarrass her in public, but I think she still likes me anyhow.
Our last stop before heading home was Saint Michel in the middle of the city. We got off to buy some fresh crepes- cooked to order right in front of you! Meg got one with eggs, cheese and ham. Of course, mine was Nutella.
And to end this list of escapades, we are off to hopefully see the Ballet at the Opera House, if we can get some "last" minute cheap tickets (they only sell them right before the performance starts for 7 euros). I'll tell you if we make it in! Meg Gilbert went last night with her parents and had the best time.
Love you both,
Caits

1 comment:

Chandler Mom said...

I'm so glad you got tickets to go to the opera. Less than 3 weeks to go and I get to have you home!